CATA to Implement Additional Service Reductions as the Result of Severe Staffing Shortages Effective Monday, October 25
As the result of continuing severe staffing shortages, the Centre Area Transportation Authority (CATA) will implement several service changes to take effect Monday, October 25. It is expected that these temporary changes to service will remain in effect through the end of the calendar year and possibly longer but will be reevaluated as hiring continues.
These temporary service reductions are being made to avoid the last minute service cancellations passengers have been experiencing the last few weeks to help assure published service is more reliable.
A complete list of service changes is noted below.
CATABUS Service Changes
• All routes (except for Loop and Link campus service) will temporarily cease service at 11:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday. (CATARIDE paratransit service will begin at its current times but will also cease operation at 11:00 p.m.)
• All Sunday CATABUS and CATARIDE service will be temporarily suspended.
• Frequency of all routes on Saturdays will be adjusted from every 40 minutes to every 60 minutes.
A (Park Forest) Route
• A route service will be temporarily suspended.
K (Cato Park) Route
• The K route service schedule will be temporarily modified to provide two trips in the morning and two trips in the afternoon around peak commute times.
HM (Toftrees/Nittany Mall) Route
• Weekday frequency on the HM route will be temporarily adjusted from every 30 minutes to every 40 minutes.
• Saturday frequency on all routes will be temporarily adjusted from every 40 minutes to every 60 minutes.
P (Boalsburg) Route
• Weekday P route service will temporarily cease operation at 8:00 p.m. CATAGO! microtransit service will continue to operate as it does currently, also ending at 8 p.m.
• All Saturday P route service will be temporarily suspended, CATAGO! microtransit service will continue to be available on Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m in the Boalsburg zone.
XP (Scenery Park) Route
• Weekday frequency on the XP route will be temporarily adjusted from every 30 minutes to every 60 minutes. All routes will go to a 60 minute frequency on Saturdays. Connections to CATAGO! microtransit service will continueto access Boalsburg from the XP.
XG (Pleasant Gap) Route
• XG route service will be temporarily suspended. Those using the XG route can use CATAGO! microtransit service to access the XB route, or the HM route near the Walmart on Benner Pike.
Campus Service (Loops and Links)
• Early morning service on the Loops and Links will be temporarily suspended. Service will begin at 7:00 a.m.
• The Green Link will be temporarily suspended.
Penn State Transportation Services will share information next week on alternative options for those impacted by campus service changes.
Game Day Shuttles
• The Downtown Game Day Shuttle will be suspended for the remainder of the football season effective immediately. The South Atherton Game Day Shuttle will continue to operate as usual. Those who would have used the Downtown Game Day Shuttle can access the South Atherton Game Day shuttle near Easterly Parkway, or can take the White Loop service to the Natatorium and walk from there to the stadium.
CATARIDE Paratransit Service
• All Sunday CATARIDE service will be temporarily suspended.
• CATARIDE service will continue to begin at its usual times but temporarily cease operation at 11:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday.
“Similar to transit agencies throughout the country, CATA continues to experience unprecedented staffing shortages, and this has resulted over the past several weeks in the cancellation of a number of daily trips having to be announced the evening before,” said Louwana Oliva, CATA’s Executive Director. “While we expect these temporary service changes to help eliminate last minute service cancellations after October 25, we will unfortunately continue to experience these issues, particularly Thursday through Sunday between now and when the changes take effect. CATA has chosen to implement these temporary service cutbacks in an effort to make the remaining service more reliable.”
CATA staff will continue to monitor the situation and communicate with the public as additional information becomes available. Those affected by these service changes are encouraged to contact CATA’s Customer Service Center at (814) 238-CATA(2282) to discuss transportation needs and possible alternatives.
For information on CATA’s bus operator positions and other open positions within the organization, and to apply, please visit catabus.com/careers.