SpringTownship

About Spring Township

 

Spring Township was originally founded as Upper Bald Eagle Township in 1786.  The name "Spring Township" was derived from the various natural springs located throughout the "Township, including "Blue" Spring,  "Boiling Springs and the "Big Spring".  In 1814 the name changed to Covington Township, but was changed back to Spring Township in 1815.

 

The pioneer settler's goals were to build roads to the nearest flour mills.  Iron Ore and iron products forged in Spring Township aided in the sinking of the British Fleet at the Battle of Lake Erie in 1813.  Spring Township native, Abram Valentine, invented the Ore Washing Machine, greatly affecting the iron industry.  The Grist Mill was built along Logan Branch in 1796 with brass and limestone industries beginning in the early 1800's.  Logan Branch is named for the Oneida Chief Shickellemy's son, Logan, who camped for some time at the Blue Spring along Axemann Road.  The first school house was also built along Logan Branch in 1808.  The first lime was shipped out of Spring Township in 1863 from a single kiln owned by A.G. Morris.  The Noll brother's bought land in Pleasant Gap and hired a company to prospect it and the area was found to be rich in linestone, which established the Whiterock Quarry.  The Mann Axe Factory produced the Red Man Axe, which historians claim cleared most of the unsettled West.  Nittany Iron Works (most currently known as Cerro) was establihsed in the early 1900's.

 

Greensvalley and the Axemann area, along Logan Branch, were rich farming areas.  Coleville offered a brickyard, saw mills, a woolen mill and iron furnaces.  Pleasant Gap was home to a distillery, a gristmill, cigar factory, chopping mill, slaughterhouse and butcher shop.

 

There were two tollhouses in the Township, one still stands today along S. Main Street in Pleasant Gap and the other was demolished years ago and was located near the Cerro Plants, on Axemann Road.

 

Major railroads were built between 1858 & 1893, giving residents connection to the outside world.  Spring Township was also home to 3 airports.

 

We are very proud of the heritage of Spring Township and how it has changed and thrived over the years and has always been a great place to live and work.

 

 


Search WWW Search www.Springtownship.org

 

Spring Township Logo

1309 Blanchard St.
Bellefonte, PA 16823
Phone: (814) 355-7543
administrator@springtownship.org

Information on the Spring Township website is provided as a service to the community. While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained herein, official documentation is available at the Township offices.